conditions of admission
The candidates for the competitive examination must hold the following degrees:
- DNOP or DEM in the discipline concerned
- baccalauréat or other ratified equivalent degree.
In accordance with section 4 of the decree of February 1st 2008, the candidates that do not meet the above conditions can request an exemption from the director of the establishment. There is no age limit.
In addition to the above conditions, foreign candidates must provide:
- proof of foreign degrees translated into French,
- a certificate of equivalency of the foreign qualification corresponding to the baccalauréat or bachelor’s degree, from the ENIC NARIC organisation,
- valid visa or residency permit,
- certificate of their level of French language (TCF B2, TEF, DELF B2 or DALF C1).
The foreign candidates must fill in the specific conditions of access to the University (for this, please refer to the University of Toulouse – Jean Jaurès website).
The entrance examination includes an interview, instrumental or vocal tests and a written test for the contemporary music course. The order of these tests may vary from one year to the next. Any absence from one of the tests will eliminate the candidate. The candidates who have obtained the best results in all tests are admitted to the course, depending on the number of openings available each year.
oral tests classical music:
- instrumental or vocal performance of a programme lasting around 20 minutes, chosen from a compulsory list, per discipline, and that may be addressed to the candidates by request, or consulted on the website (program and Orchestra Scores);
- sight reading of a short imposed piece, including a period of preparation—without use of the instrument—of a duration comparable to that of the piece.
oral tests contemporary music:
- a performance of 3 or 4 pieces from the repertoire of contemporary music. The candidate can include a personal composition in this repertoire, lasting 20 mins;
- the performance of an imposed musical text, which will be advised 15 days prior to the test, lasting 5 mins.
- for all of the instrumental and vocal disciplines with the exception of contemporary music: interview with the jury pertaining to musical culture and motivations of the candidate, lasting around 20 minutes, which may focus on the written document provided by the candidate at the time of enrolment to present his or her professional project (minimum of two pages). The jury will take into account all of the elements allowing them to adjudicate the solidity and coherence of the professional project, the candidate’s availability for attending the full course, as well as their motivation for taking a course that combines expert musical training with university classes.
- for contemporary music: an interview lasting around 20 minutes. The following points will be broached: self evaluation by the candidate of their instrumental or vocal examination (if it preceded the interview), knowledge of the professional contemporary music scene, personal art project and general culture, which may focus on the written document provided by the candidate at the time of enrolment to present his or her professional project (minimum of two pages).
The amount of the registration fee for the entrance exam is 54 euros or 36 euros in case of second enrollment. The total school fees for the initial training are 280 euros (PMO, AI and orchestra conductor) or 370 euros (Teaching option) for the 2018/2019 year. More information concerning scholarships and social security.
- registration closed
- oral examination from April 18th to April 26th 2019